Duro Olowu Spring 2009


Initially underwhelmed by Duro Olowu's SS09 show, I decided to take another, more compassionate gander. I remain nonplussed, but I did manage to find a look that I'm actually quite fond of. It's all about the jacket and the necklace, which is one of the designer's many subtle nods to Black Orpheus. Of course, I would hack off at least 12 inches from the bottom of the skirt. But I'm a bit of a sartorial tart. Luckily, my subconscious has a defense mechanism in place: the amount of clothing I wear and the degree to which I assert my seriousness tend to be inversely proportionate. Banish my ego? Never! She's so helpful.

EDIT: For reference, here are a few more looks from the show (from Style.com)-- what do you think? Is my distaste misinformed? I agree wholeheartedly with writer Sarah Mower's contention that Olowu plays to "a certain slice of the cultural intellegentsia." Take that as you will.



3 comments:

January 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM Anonymous said...

Funny. I like the outfit. But I haven't see the rest of the line.

January 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM Craig said...

Oh also there is going to be a Department store that will feature collections by African American fashion designers. The store is called The Vogue (I know, I know, the name may need to change) but the brother is trying.

January 20, 2009 at 1:25 AM jamey said...

i admit, i'm still a sucker for those original kimono type dresses w/ the african prints from the first few lines...